
Despite living in Virginia for three years, I've never been to the western side of the state (it's over six hours away). After a week of 12+ Capitol Hill visits, I'm ready to hike other hills, specifically the Appalachian Mountains and the Appalachian Trail. Tomorrow I head to Abingdon, VA, in the western tip of the state to attend the Appalachian Trail Days and the Partnership for the National Trails System conference.
I'll present on The Conservation Fund's work to protect the Appalachian Trail and dozens of other trails around the nation. For instance, this week I lobbied with the guy in charge of the North Country National Scenic Trail, which runs through seven states, from New York to North Dakota. You may have never heard of it, but it's twice as long as the AT, 4,600 miles.
Mainly, I'm ready to hang out with hikers and see more of this "great outdoors" that I spend so much time indoors talking about.
Photo: Parade for the Appalachian Trail in Damascus, VA. This year's parade will take place on Saturday.

No comments:
Post a Comment