When I lived in Denver, a place I describe as somewhere that "takes its recreation very seriously," any dinner party included someone who had run a marathon.
In other words, Denver is very fit. and fun. Ppl work into order to play.
DC is somewhere that "takes work very seriously," which is a phrase that doesn't need to be in quotes, I suppose. Compared with Denver, where ppl talk a lot about bike components, running schedules, and quality of snow, here in DC the conversation is usually about policy, government, and policy. and law. and work, jobs, work. I love it, actually.
However, I have been amazed these last 9 months at the outpouring of athletics I witness at any given moment in Arlington and DC. Runners, bikers & kayakers are ubiquitous. every block. I have reasoned that maybe because there are more ppl here, it means that I see more ppl running. I think about this often because it makes me feel lazy often.
Today - the mystery is revealed. I assumed that the mountain maniacs in Denver were more fit. I did not consider DC a "fit" city. I was wrong. DC may not take recreation very seriously, but like everything else, its denizens are overachievers in this category, as well.
Sorry Denver, DC is ***#1*** on the "Top 10 Fittest Cities" list. Denver is #3. http://wtop.com/?nid=25&sid=1685394. Total surprise.
DC is a better fit for me right now...in more ways than I thought before. I enjoyed a classic run from my house to the Lincoln today, along the Potomac and up the stairs by the Memorial Bridge. I'm looking forward to more Eastern adventures this summer.

No comments:
Post a Comment